Search Site   
Current News Stories
County yield data supports Midwest crop strength
Tennessee ag crime unit gets conviction in barn arson case
OEFFA launches annual series of farm tours and special events
Kentucky Woodland Owners Short Course begins June 2
Forum: Bio-based materials, fuels are reshaping the energy markets
Four vintage tractors fueled steady bidding at RES auction
Four vintage tractors fueled steady bidding at RES auction
Farmers need to understand farm water usage prior to data center talks
2026 World Pork Expo just around the corner at Iowa State Fairgrounds
Integrity and right attitude will see used equipment dealers through
Final week of May typically overcast with precipitation
   
News Articles
Search News  
   
Six-month extension for food bank program

 
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Officials say Dane County has secured a six-month extension of a program linking local growers with food pantries that was set to expire at the end of this year.
County Executive Joe Parisi announced earlier this week that a $5 million agreement has been reached with Second Harvest Foodbank of Southern Wisconsin to continue the program through at least the end of July.
The program began in April with the help of about $8 million of the county’s federal coronavirus relief funding. More than 4,000 hours of service have been logged to help those experiencing hardship and hunger.
Many people facing job losses have turned to food pantries for meals. Requests for food from Second Harvest has increased more than 50 percent since last year, the nonprofit’s leader said last month.
Parisi said the program helps families struggling to put food on the table, keeps pantry shelves stocked and benefits local agricultural producers who need new markets to sell their goods. Second Harvest has teamed up with the Dane County Dairy and Pork Producers, Dane County Farmers’ Market and Fairshare CSA Coalition.

1/4/2021